From Jan Bergen, President & CEO
Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health is proud to receive the 2018 Foster G. McGaw Prize for Excellence in Community Service.
This prestigious national award, which is co-sponsored by the American Hospital Association, honors LG Health’s commitment and passion for making our community a healthier place for everyone who lives, works and plays here. We share this honor with our wonderful community partners.
The Foster McGaw Prize reaffirms all that is special about LG Health and the community we serve. Our award application highlighted some of our key successes in five areas:
Quality Health Care for All
- Our school-based clinics provided 2,598 patient visits in the 2017 school year.
- Since 2002, we have provided 6,145 breast and cervical cancer screenings and related services to low- or middle-income women.
Improving Mental Well-being
- Our LG Health Physicians practices have increased depression screening rates by 12 percent.
- We have provided copay assistance to 143 individuals and families for mental health services.
Making the Healthy Choice the Easy Choice
- We have increased healthy products offered in 25 Lancaster City corner stores.
- We provided hands-on healthy cooking classes for 120 low-income families in fiscal year 2017.
Enhancing Preventive Care
- Our Care Connections program has enrolled 475 patients with complex medical and social needs since 2011.
- We have referred 335 patients to appropriate social-service programs.
Responding to Substance Abuse
- The number of current adult smokers in Lancaster County decreased from 24 percent to 13 percent in 15 years.
- Our substance abuse prevention program has reached more than 5,000 school students.
These are just a few examples of what LG Health and our partners have accomplished together for the benefit of our community. The remarkable results we have seen would only be possible – and sustainable – with the support of our collaborating organizations.
The Foster G. McGaw Prize is also a testament to the community engagement and commitment of our leaders, physicians and staff. Thank you for joining me in living our legacy to improve the health and well-being of everyone in our community.