The post-COVID-19 recovery process in some cases can be varied, complex and prolonged.
Some patients who have recovered from COVID-19 continue to have difficulties in physical, emotional and cognitive functioning. Patients have reported having numerous on-going health effects and an overall worsened quality of life. Given the novelty of COVID-19, the exact nature of these ongoing health effects remains uncertain.
To address these issues, Lancaster General Health is establishing a multidisciplinary effort to treat patients experiencing post-COVID-19 issues in a coordinated manner.
The goal of our program is to provide consultation, direct care as needed, and on-going care through primary care offices for patients who have lingering physical, cognitive or behavioral symptoms.
The post-COVID rehabilitation therapy program is overseen by Dr. Tony Ton-That, physiatrist and medical director of the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation department at Lancaster General Health. Our team has members from case management, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology and neuropsychology.
Note: Referrals for cardiology and pulmonary services should go directly to those departments. Our team may also refer to these services after an initial consultation, if determined to be needed.
Individualized Approach Based on Patient Needs
Our goal is to evaluate each patient individually and provide a customized care plan.
- A rehab case manager can be assigned as a personal navigator for patients as required.
- Patients will be evaluated initially by our physical therapy and occupational therapy team.
- Based upon evaluation, screening tools and outcome measures, patients may be referred to additional resources such as our neuropsychology practice (ages 12 and up), behavioral health or other providers.
- For patients identified with high complexity, complications or impaired progress, the team will recommend referral to a physiatry specialist for medical oversight including collaboration and referrals to cardiology or pulmonology services as needed.
Who and What We Treat
Patients who have recovered from COVID-19 and are experiencing lingering health issues including:
- Difficulty performing usual activities
- Emotional issues
- Cognitive Impairment
- Psychological Issues: PTSD, insomnia, anxiety and depression
Referring providers can make a referral to the COVID-19 recovery program (use AMB LGH Physical therapy services or COVID-19 recovery panel) through their normal Lancaster General Health referral process, or call 717-544-3547.
If you are a patient experiencing lingering issues following a COVID-19 infection, you can ask your primary care doctor for a referral or complete this form and we will contact you.