As an after-school or anytime snack for kids and grownups alike, these Peanut Butter & Banana Roll Ups are easy to make and packed with nutrition to keep your family on the go.
To make the roll ups, we mixed together some yogurt and peanut butter, added a splash of orange juice, and spread over a whole-wheat tortilla. Then we placed a whole banana at one end, rolled it up and sliced it in half. We tried cutting the roll up into one-inch rounds, but found that a bit messy; although if you have a toddler at home it could be easier for them to eat this way.
If desired, sprinkle some cinnamon and a few raisins over the banana for extra flavor and fun before rolling it up.
Our photographer, who sure loved taste testing this recipe, came up with the idea to use the leftover yogurt-peanut mixture as a dip. Yum.
Bananas, America’s favorite fruit,* are loaded with potassium and low in sodium, which is good for your heart. The fruit is also high in fiber and vitamin B6, which protects against type 2 diabetes and helps in maintaining a healthy weight. The whole-wheat tortilla and peanut butter add more heart health benefits; and the protein in peanut butter is an important building block for bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.
So, no matter how you slice ‘em, Peanut Butter & Banana Rollups are mmm mmm good ‘n healthy.
- ½ cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- ⅓ cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 bananas
- 2 (8-inch) whole wheat or multi-grain tortillas
- Cinnamon, optional
- Raisins, optional
- Combine peanut butter, yogurt and orange juice and stir until smooth.
- Spread 3 tablespoons of the peanut butter over each tortilla, leaving a ½ inch border.
- Place one banana at the end of each tortilla and sprinkle with a little cinnamon and some raisins, if desired.
- Roll up and slice in half.
- Use remaining peanut butter mixture for dipping or to make more roll ups the next day!
Makes 2 servings.
Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine, September 2003.
*According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture
Per serving: 406 calories; 12.7g total fat; 2.9g saturated fat; 469.7mg sodium; 1.7mg cholesterol; 65g carbohydrate; 12g protein; 7.6g fiber