Crockpot BBQ Chicken Sliders
August 28, 2017
Relax and enjoy your next gathering, or make any evening meal easy, with our slow-cooked chicken and homemade sweet and sour barbecue sauce.
We gave a new twist to the traditional pulled pork BBQ by using lean chicken breasts and cutting down on the salt and sugar (and no preservatives or artificial colorings) by making our own sauce.
Spend a few minutes in the morning to prepare then enjoy your guests in the afternoon with no last minute rushing around; because this BBQ Chicken will wait until you are ready to eat.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 4 to 5 hours
Total time: About 4 ½ to 5 ½ hours
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- 16 ounces no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ cup apple cider or white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- Place chicken breasts on bottom of crock-pot.
- Heat 2 to 3 quart sauce pan to medium high heat. Add olive oil, onion, celery, salt and pepper. Sauté about 5 minutes or until onions and celery are soft.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Pour BBQ sauce over chicken breasts in crock-pot. Cover, turn on high, and cook 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from sauce and shred or pull apart with 2 forks. Return pulled chicken to crock pot, stir to coat with sauce, Cook, uncovered, for another 15 minutes or longer to let sauce soak in and thicken a bit.
- Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
Serve on a mini roll with Cole slaw on top or on the side, if desired.
Makes about 5 cups of pulled BBQ chicken.
Per ¼ cup serving ( does not include mini wheat slider*): 108 calories; 3.1g total fat (1.0g saturated, 0.4g polyunsaturated, 1.7g monounsaturated); 103mg sodium; 39mg cholesterol; 4.5g carbohydrate; 3.6g sugars;. 0.6g fiber; 15.6g protein; 29.8mg potassium.
*Nutritional value of one mini wheat slider: 100 calories; 2.0g fat; 150.0mg sodium; 0.0 cholesterol; 17g carbohydrates; 1.0g fiber; 5.0g protein; 0.0g potassium.