When you crave a steak sizzling on the grill, the healthier choice of extra-lean London Broil will satisfy your appetite and taste amazing with our flavorful marinade and fast cooking technique.
London Broil is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals, and has less than 5 grams of total fat, 2 grams of saturated fat and 95 milligrams of cholesterol in every 3-ounce serving.
Since lean cuts of beef are tougher, a marinade, containing an acid, like lemon juice, is needed to break down the tough muscle fibers and tenderize the meat. Marinades need to be balanced with other ingredients to add flavor but also to avoid having too much acid, which can actually toughen the steak.
London Broil really refers to how it is prepared (marinated, broiled or grilled, and thinly sliced), and not an actual cut. In general, top round steak is labeled as London Broil, and sometimes flank steak.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Broiling or grilling time: 8 to 10 minutes
Resting time: 10 minutes
Total time (without marinating time): About 30 minutes
Important: Marinate London Broil at least 8 hours or overnight, up to 24 hours.
Beef Marinade for 1 ½ to 2 lbs. London Broil:
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- ¼ cup canola or other vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, or juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon grated black pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl and whisk with a fork until blended.
- Pour marinade in Ziploc bag and add London Broil.
- Squeeze out any excess air and close bag, making sure marinade completely surrounds the meat. Marinate in refrigerator at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours, turning bag over occasionally.
- Remove from refrigerator ½ hour before cooking to take some of the chill off the steak. When coals or grill is ready, drain meat and discard the marinade.
- For a one-inch thick steak, grill or broil over high heat 4 minutes on each side for rare; 5 minutes on each side for medium rare.
- Remove steak from grill, place on cutting board, cover with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest covered with aluminum foil, for 10 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain and serve with your favorite summer vegetables.
Makes 6, 4-ounce servings for 1 ½ lb. London Broil.
Per 4-ounce serving: 265.7 calories; 8.7g total fat (0.3 g saturated, 1.3g polyunsaturated, 3.0g monounsaturated); 147.8mg sodium; 100.0mg cholesterol; 0.2g carbohydrate; 0.0g fiber; 0.0g sugars; 40.2g protein; 0.0mg potassium.