Breast cancer care requires support every step of the way. At Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health, you are not managing breast cancer alone. We offer extensive support services to address every aspect of breast cancer treatment and care. Our goal is to get you back to living your life and feeling like yourself as soon as possible.
Breast Cancer Support: The Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health Advantage
We offer comprehensive breast cancer care. That includes supportive care before, during and after treatment. The benefits of breast cancer support at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health include:
- Personalized treatment and care: We create your treatment plan according to your breast cancer type, but we also consider your lifestyle, current medical condition and preferences. We help you through the decision-making process, so you feel confident about your breast cancer treatment plan.
- Specialized care for cancer-related conditions: Our breast cancer team collaborates with other Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health specialists to get you treated for cancer-related medical issues. We’ll connect you with experts in lymphedema (swollen extremities), physical therapy, gynecology and more.
- Supportive care that’s convenient: You’ll find our breast cancer support services at the Ann B. Barshinger Cancer Institute in Lancaster. In just one visit, you can see your physicians, check in with your nurse navigator and access any of our support services.
How We Support Patients with Breast Cancer
The support you’ll need may change as you manage diagnosis, treatment and survival. Our comprehensive services provide assistance and relief for every stage of breast cancer care.
Our supportive care includes:
Specialized Nurse Navigators
At Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health, we understand how overwhelming a breast cancer diagnosis can be. To help you navigate our cancer care, we connect you with one of our certified nurse navigators. They specialize in oncology and breast cancer and are well-equipped to provide you with breast cancer education, explain the treatment process and answer your questions.
Your designated nurse navigator partners with you for the duration of your care. She helps coordinate your schedule and attends your appointments with the breast cancer team whenever possible. You can lean on your nurse navigator for everything you need.
Wide-Ranging Cancer Support
You’ll find all the support services you need through the cancer institute. Our programs help with:
- Caregiver resources
- Emotional health
- Financial concerns
- Palliative care
- Symptom management
We also offer peer support through our breast cancer support group. The group is facilitated by a nurse navigator and social worker. It’s open to patients in active treatment as well as anyone within five years of treatment completion.
Learn more about cancer treatment support at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health.
Image Recovery During and After Breast Cancer Treatment
Breast cancer treatment can take a toll on your confidence and self-image. We strive to get you back to feeling good as soon as possible. Our Image Recovery Center, located at the cancer institute, provides many of the products and services to help you get there. You’ll find:
- Accessories for hair loss, including scarves and wigs
- Full-service salon, offering appointments for hair styling, manicures and pedicures
- Integrative oncology services, including massage and acupuncture
- Post-mastectomy products, such as prosthetics and bras
- Skin and hair products, with a focus on organic shampoos, conditioners and lotions
Learn more about the Image Recovery Center.
Continued Support for Breast Cancer Survivors
Planning for life after breast cancer is exciting but can be challenging. We offer survivorship counseling that addresses concerns including:
- Emotional health
- Financial issues
- Follow-up screenings and appointments
- Relationship stress
- Returning to work
We can also connect you with support groups for breast cancer survivors and other resources both within Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health and the greater community. Learn more about the cancer survivorship services we offer.
Request an Appointment
To make an appointment at the Ann B. Barshinger Cancer Institute, call 717-544-9400 or request a callback using our online form.